Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Phil Bolger's Cartopper as an Oar Cruiser

Note: In an earlier post, I stated this concept model to be Jim Michalak's Oarcle design. Oarcle and this extended Cartopper are very similar. I was confused.

 In a Jan. 8, 2017 post we introduced Bolger's Cartopper. On Apr. 30, 2017 we presented a 'sail/oar' version which converted the 12' (3.7 m) Cartopper to a cruiser. Described here is the Cartopper extended to 15' 6" (3.81 m) to create an Oar Cruiser.

A Proposed Oar Cruiser (Rowmance) Based on Cartopper

Bow, Showing the 'Fairlead' Used for Anchoring. See How This 'Fairlead' is 
Used for Anchoring at End of This Post.

Cockpit with Rowing Seat and Foot Rests Clipped to Floor Boards

Shelter Provided by PDR Tube Tent (See Shelters)

Specifications:

  • Length: 15' 6" (4.7 m)
  • Beam: 43" (1143 mm)
  • Water Line Length: 13' 10" (4.2 m)
  • Water Line Width: 37" (940 mm)
  • WLL/WLW Ratio: 4.5:1
  • Weight: (Est.) 100 lbs (45 kg.) with added decking
  • Hull  Speed: 5.0 knots, 9.3 kph, 5.8 mph
  • Cockpit length; 7' (2134 mm) 
  • Span is 4' 3" (1295 mm) needing 8' (2438 mm) or 8' 6" (2591 mm) oars 

Changes to Make the Oar Cruiser:

  • Added decking forward and aft, ending at the two bulkheads, with hatches let into the decks to provide access to the compartments
  • Added side decks to help support 4" (102 mm) coaming surrounding the 4 sides of the cockpit opening which also supports the outriggers. See here for how these outriggers are used.
  • Added cross-slatted floorboards. See Floorboards to see how foot rests are 'clipped' to cross-slatted floorboards.

Summary-Pros:

  • For plans I used Bolger's book, Boats with an Open Mind, (Chap. 7).
  • Reduced the height of the stem and transom slightly and raised the freeboard midships, all to reduce windage (but not changing the underwater lines in any way.)
  • The resulting boat will be sea-worthy, comfortable and provide sufficient dry storage needed for week-long singled-handed cruises.

Summary-Cons:

  • She will not be the fastest Oar Cruiser, but will certainly be able to maintain 3 knots. (Three knots for 45" an hour for 10 hours a day is 25 miles.)
  • 100 pounds (45 kg) and moderate LOA would make car-topping difficult for one person. 
This extended version of Cartopper worked out very well and would be an excellent Oar Cruiser.

10 comments:

  1. Good to have you back, as l grown more creaky rowing is ok, but getting in and out is the issue. Would like to hear your thoughts on fixed walker style rails to help get into position. My small craft now have many hand holds installed all over the interior and hatchways to ease tye load on hops and knees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Peter... if you are considering permanently installed walker style rails, then I would foresee no problems.
    I have issues getting into and out of my boat (A Ross Lillistone Flint) (I'm in my 9th decade)... here's what I've done... If there is a dock available (usually not), I'll throw a loop of rope over a handy dock post or cleat... hold onto that line and step into the center of the boat. The line keeps the boat from sliding out from the dock... same way getting out of the boat.
    Most of the time there is no dock. I bought a pair of knee high rubber boots (at Walmart in the US) and put them on when I launch the boat from the trailer... throw in my rowing shoes. Push the boat out far enough that it is almost totally afloat (just the bottom of the stem is grounded in an inch or so of water). I then climb on my hands and knees over the bow, keeping myself centered and crawl over the foredeck to the cockpit... note that the boat is very very tippy, but by crawling, I can keep it up right... Then get into the cockpit, set the oars in the oarlocks and move as far aft as I can... the boat is now fully floating and I can move into the rowing position.
    I hope this helps, Peter...
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I put a folding dodger on my boat, part of a enclosed tent, and have found the dodger frame a great place to hold on for stability when getting in and out or standing to handle the anchor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rick, any pics of the dodger/tent setup?
      Thx peter

      Delete
    2. Peter - There's a set of photos on making the tent, on Flickr here:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/ricks_boats/albums/72157654556257852
      Let me know if the link does not work.
      -Rick

      Delete
  4. Tom - how about Welsford's newest design Long Steps as an oar cruiser? It would be about as big as you could go single handed, with a lot of windage, but is said to row well. The advantages are lots of room, a big self draining sleeping area, and the hard cuddy is good for hiding from weather and makes a nice place to build on a full enclosed tent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rick... I have a (possibly) an irrational concern about windage... Looking at Long Steps, I'd love to build her for a SAIL/oar cruiser, but not as an OAR/sail cruiser.
    I'm currently working on an Oar Cruiser (either called Duo or Gemini... maybe) that will sleep two (comfortably, but separated)... Got it down to 21' and it will have high WLL:WLW (est. 9.5:1) and an estimated Hull Speed of 5.8 knots... no additional 'tent' will be required... both sleepers fully protected... two 4.5' cockpits for rowing, about 16 cubic feet of waterproof storage midships and two open storage compartments at each end for bedding. Has been an interesting exercise to make it all work at least in 'sketch' form... now have to work out some details and then a concept model to be posted here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One other point... I have a 'need for speed'... so I'm always looking to keep wetted surface down, low ends to reduce effects of wind and high WLL/WLW ratio... I just can't see expending the energy of rowing (paddling) and not be able to get 'there' in 30% or 50% less time... or even 10% less time... Dale McKinnon (when discussing Same Devlin's Duckling... a fast boat): "The thought of arriving comfortably at a destination 20 miles away half an hour sooner is quite appealing."

      Delete
    2. I look at the tradeoff between speed and accommodation. My Whitehall is faster than my Walkabout, but it does not have the space for comfortable overnight or even standing and stretching underway.
      I also have noticed that on our club rowing trips we have a lot of varied boat designs, from short punts to sleek Natomas skiffs to dories to Whitehalls. Speed does not vary that much, a few might do 4 kts with effort and all can do 3 kts fairly easily. We always seem to get to the destination at about the same time.

      Delete
  6. You make an interesting point about the average speed of all the boats is about 3 knots... When cruising in a group, I assume everyone tries to stay together and given the mix of styles, the 3 knot figure is a good compromise...

    ReplyDelete