|Shellback Dinghy from Ballentine Boats|
Pictured below is an example built by Salt Pond Rowing used as the tender for a larger boat.
|Rowing (only) Shellback Built in 2001|
In the write-ups, there was praise for the Shellback as an excellent sailing, rowing and towing dinghy.
|Shellback Dinghy Sailing...|
Plans are available from the Wooden Boats Store
|Plans from Wooden Boats Store|
- LOA:11' 2" (3.4m)
- Beam 4’ 5” (1.3m)
- Sail area is 54 Sq. Ft. (5 Sq. m)
- Displacement 125 lbs (57kg).
The optional sailing rig consists of a standing lug sail on spars that can be stored inside in the boat with a dagger board and rudder.
If we made the same changes as those for the Cartopper…
- Eliminate the sailing components (?)
- Add floor boards covering 7’ (2.1m) of the bottom
- Add fore- and aft-decks to minimize the size of the cockpit (to about 4’ [1.2m])
- Add a tent of some form for weather protection.
…then we would have another very pretty and compact single-handed oar cruiser.